|Charizard CAN'T use Fly!? - The Dex! Episode 48!|
|Season -, Episode 48|
|Air date||Feb 11, 2014|
|Written by||Alex Faciane, Kellie Whisler|
|Directed by||The National Dex|
Charizard CAN'T use Fly!? - The Dex! Episode 48! is the forty-eighth episode of The Dex Trivia and Battle Strategy series. It's hosted by Charizard Alex and Charizard and it covers the Flame Pokemon, Charizard! It was aired on February 11, 2014 and can be viewed here.
"Every week on The Dex, Alex and PokeKellz present battle strategy and trivia for a different Pokemon! This week, we knock out the most suggested Pokemon of all time! It's CHARIZARD! YAY!" - YouTube Description
Intro Trivia Edit
- Charizard is most likley the most popular of the Gen 1 starter final forms.
- Charizard are known to be fair fighters, only resorting to using their fire breath unless absolutely necessary
- Charizard is one of few non-legendary Pokemon that appear on the box-art of a Pokemon game.
- Many people complain that Charizard can't use Fly, even though that was only ever the case in Red/Blue. All subsequent Pokemon games have Charizard able to learn the HM
- The Charmander line is based on the Fire Salamander from Medieval Times. Salamanders enjoy living in damp, moist places, and would often times seek shelter in wood piles. When those piles were lit on fire, it appeared as though they were born from fire.
Dragons Are Cool Edit
- Charizard is based on the classic depiction of fire-breathing dragons from European Dragons. These Dragons are different from Chinese/Japanese Dragons, which are more similar to Rayquaza.
- The culutural differences between dragon depictions is likely due to dinosaur bones.
- In the West, dragons appear similar to Eotyrannus, with bones being discovered in places like the Isle of White in the UK.
- In the East, dragons appear similar to the Elasmosaurus, with bones being discovered all over Asia
- Ancient people saw these bones, and created the mythical dragon based on what they believed those creatures looked like
- In China there was an ancient remedy called "Dragon Bone Powder" which was actually made from crushed Dinosaur bone.
- The idea of fire breathing dragons comes from the sinister concept of shooting things from one's mouth. This is tied to the negative depiction of vomit.
- Heros shoot from their eyes and hands like Cyclops and Iron Man
- Villains shoot from their mouths like Reptile or Alien
Battle Strategy Edit
Physical Sweeper (Mega X) Edit
- Item: Charizardite X
- Ability: Solar Power --> Tough Claws
- Nature: Jolly (+Speed, - Sp. Attack)
- EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Charizard X gets boosts to both Attack stats and Defense.
- Tough Claws gives further bonuses to STAB Dragon Claw and Flare Blitz thanks to contact
- Earthquake is an excellent coverage option, despite the lack of Tough Claws bonuses
- Dragon Dance can turn Charizard into a very powerful sweeper
Special Sweeper (Mega Y) Edit
- Item: Charizardite Y
- Ability: Blaze --> Drought
- Nature: Modest (+Sp. Attack, -Attack)
- EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast/Dragon Pulse
- Charizard Y gets insane Special Attack buffs, and some more Special Bulk
- Drought summons the sunlight, boosting the already powerful Fire Blast's power, and charges Solar Beam instantly.
- Dragon Pulse can help against Dragon Types
- Roost helps recover damage taken by entry hazards
- Fire Spin on Charizard Y can trap opponents, deal residual damage, and gets a bonus from the sunlight
- Substitute + Fire Spin + Dragon Dance on Charizard X can lead to a devastating sweep