Dhelmise GROWS out of DEAD SAILORS! - The Dex! is the two-hundred-nineteenth episode of The Dex! Trivia and Battle Strategy Series. It's hosted by Sailor Alex and Pokekellz and it covers the Sea Creeper Pokémon, Dhelmise! It aired on November 14th, 2017 and can be viewed here.
"Dhelmise is already unsettling to look at, but it becomes even spookier when the death of a ship captain is involved!" - YouTube description
Intro Trivia Edit
- Dhelmise's real body is the seaweed enveloping the anchor and helm.
- According to Dhelmise's Pokémon Sun Pokédex entry, it can knock out a Wailord in a single swing of its anchor.
- Its name may be a pun on the word "Demise".
- Dhelmise's signature ability, Steelworker, grants it a 50% power boost to all Steel-type moves, basically giving this Grass/Ghost-type Pokémon STAB on Steel-type moves.
- Dhelmise has inspiration from "Full Fathom Five", a short story by Alexander Woollcott.
Scary Ghost-type Stories Edit
- "Full Fathom Five" tells the story of two sisters who's car breaks down on their way to Cape Cod, MA.
- The sisters take shelter in an abandoned house for the night, only to be scared out of their wits by a sailor, dripping wet, appearing by the fireplace.
- The next morning the puddle left by the sailor was still there, along with a piece of seaweed, which the sisters kept.
- A year later at a party, the sisters recounted their story and showed the seaweed to a marine biologist, who said that the seaweed was a rare type of seaweed that only grows on the corpses of drowned sailors.
- The seaweed of the story is Codium fragile, also known as dead man's fingers.
- Dhelmise therefore could be seaweed possessed by the spirits of drowned sailors.
Battle Strategy Edit
Quaking Anchor Edit
- Item: Life Orb
- Ability: Steelworker
- Nature: Adamant (+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
- EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Dhelmise's Steelworker Ability along with a Life Orb make Anchor Shot a huge threat to any Tapu that Dhelmise will need to fight.
- Power Whip on this set can easily OHKO Tapu Fini and do a fair amount of damage to anything that doesn't resist it.
- Earthquake for coverage.
Random Thoughts Edit
- Shadow Claw: STAB Ghost-type move with a high base power and a high Critical Hit chance.
- Phantom Force: Can hit through Protect, only drawback is it is a two-turn move.
- Assault Vest, Choice Band, Grassium Z, or Groundium Z all are alternate items.