Gengar, Dark Clefable!?- The Dex! Episode 2! is the second episode of The Dex! Trivia and Battle Strategy Series. It's hosted by Hiker Alex and Pokekellz and it covers the Shadow Pokémon, Gengar! It aired on January 7th, 2013 and can be viewed here.
"Every week on The Dex, Alex and PokeKellz present battle strategy and trivia for a different Pokemon! This week it's Gengar, the Shadow Pokemon!" - YouTube description
Intro Trivia Edit
| Gengar has received updated trivia and/or battle strategy.|
The updated trivia and/or battle strategy can be found here.
- Gengar is a Ghost/Poison-type that evolves from Haunter through trading.
- Said to hide in the shadows stalking people, waiting to steal their life force.
- Its power is greatest during the full moon, when it attacks people and Pokémon.
- Gengar are generally mischievous and love playing tricks on people.
- Gengar shares several physical features with Clefable, leading to a fan theory that Gengar is the corrupted soul of a Clefable.
Pokemon... Behind the Balls Edit
- Gengar was one of the first Pokémon ever created, appearing in very early concept art along Nidorino and Rhydon.
- This explains why these three Pokémon got a lot of preferential treatment, like all of the Rhydon statues and the iconic Nidorino vs. Gengar fight in the opening cutscene.
Battle Strategy Edit
Substitute Offense Edit
- Item: Leftovers
- Ability: Levitate
- Nature: Timid (+Speed, -Attack)
- EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 4 Spe
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick your opponent into attacking you, Disable them, and then hit hard with STAB Shadow Ball and a powerful Focus Blast.
- Gengar's typing and ability grant it three immunities, giving it plenty of switch opportunities.
- Setting up Substitute can help protect against status and Pursuit, and allow you to get a Disable off.
Random Thoughts Edit
- Gengar recieves STAB on both Venoshock and Hex, use them on a poisoned foe for extra damage.
- Pain Split is useful against bulkier opponents and gives more longevity.
- Will-O-Wisp can burn and halve the foes attack.
- Perish Song + Hypnosis + Mean Look can work as a suicide set.
- Life Orb can be used over Leftovers on more offensive sets.