Is Togedemaru a Hedgehog? WE THINK NOT! – The Dex! is the two-hundred-twentieth episode of The Dex Trivia and Battle Strategy series. It's hosted by Electrican Alex and Pokekellz and it covers the Roly-Poly Pokémon, Togedemaru! It aired on November 21st, 2017 and can be viewed here.
"Togedemaru often gets confused for a Hedgehog, but we think this Alolan Pika-clone is actually based on a rodent!" - YouTube description
Intro Trivia Edit
- Togedemaru is a member of the group unofficially known as the "Pika-clones".
- Togedemaru have a hard time generating their own electrical charge. To compensate, they stick up their metal spines and use them like mini-lightning rods.
- In thunderstorms, massive groups of Togedemaru gather, hoping to have their "tails" struck by lightning.
- Togedemaru's spines also double as protection. Togedemaru also can role up into a ball.
- Its spines are so sharp and skin is so hard, most attackers give up on attacking Togedemaru.
- Togedemaru is the second smallest Pika-clone (1'00"), with only Dedenne (0'08") being smaller.
Pokémon Etymology Edit
- Togedemaru's name is the same in languages.
- "Toge" means spike and "Maru" means round.
- Togedemaru's name therefore means "Spiky and Round".
- Influence for Togedemaru's name and design were taken from the Ryukyu spiny rat, a rodent native to Amami Ōshima island of the Ryukyu archipelago of Japan.
- The Ryukyu spiny rat's name in Japanese is トゲネズミ togenezumi.
- Both Togedemaru and the Ryukyu spiny rat are found on a single tropical island, both have spines/spiny hair, and both are rare (Togedemaru has a 10% encounter rate and the Ryukyu spiny rat is an endangered specie due to the introduction of the Indian Mongoose to the island).
Battle Strategy Edit
Mind Games Edit
- Item: Focus Sash
- Ability: Lightning Rod
- Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Sp. Attack)
- EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Fake Out
- Zing Zap
- Spiky Shield
- Pair Togedemaru with a partner that hates being hit by Electric-type moves, such as Gyarados or Celesteela
- Encore to trap an opponent into a Status move or Electric-type move.
- Zing Zap for STAB and a 30% of Flinching the foe
- Focus Sash to keep Togedemaru around and Spiny Shield over Protect to cause damage if the foe makes contact.
Random Thoughts Edit
- Air Balloon if you run Togedemaru on an Earthquake team.
- Nuzzle will Paralyze the foe while also causing damage. Run this move if Speed control is more important than Flinching the foe.
- U-Turn to reset Fake Out. Use when you predict the opponent will switch out a Pokémon.
- Iron Barbs will cause 1/8th max HP damage each turn when hit by a move that makes contact. Pair this with a Sitrus Berry.