The Dex! Luxray! Episode 18 is the eighteenth episode of The Dex! Trivia and Battle Strategy Series. It's hosted by Ruin Maniac Alex and Pokekellz and it covers the Gleam Eyes Pokémon, Luxray! It aired on May 28th, 2013 and can be viewed here.
"Every week on The Dex, Alex and PokeKellz present battle strategy and trivia for a different Pokemon! This week, it's Luxray, the Gleam Eyes Pokemon!" - YouTube description
Intro Trivia Edit
| Luxray has received updated trivia and/or battle strategy.|
The updated trivia and/or battle strategy can be found here.
- Luxray resembles a dark lion, and is known as the Gleam Eyes Pokémon.
- This name is attributed to Luxray's X-Ray vision.
- The design is based off of a mythological version of the lynx, which had the ability to see through solid objects.
- Luxray's name comes from "Lynx", "X-Ray", and "Lux", a measure of light.
- It is incredibly loyal, but can quickly turn on an abusive Trainer.
- The star on the end of Luxray's tail could be a reference to the constellation Leo.
- Lux could also reference Luxor, Egypt, where there are plenty of Sphinx's, which could also relate to Luxray's pre-evolution, Shinx.
Pokémon Conspiracies Edit
- Shinx, Luxio, and Luxray represent different life-stages of the lion.
- This appears reminiscent of Simba's aging process in the Lion King.
- The Lion King could have potentially ripped of Kimba the White Lion, whose main character resembles Shinx.
- As an April Fools Joke, Nintendo announced Hey You! Pikachu! would be ported to the DS.
- In that same article, they announced a fake Pokémon that looked a lot like Shinx.
- Luxray's entire existence seems to be based off of already existing material.
Battle Strategy Edit
Guts Attacker Edit
- Item: Flame Orb
- Ability: Guts
- Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Sp. Attack)
- EVs: Attack and Speed
- Wild Charge
- Guts can boost Luxray's power when statused, making a Flame Orb the best choice.
- Hitting hard with Wild Charge is your best bet, but the recoil and Burn damage will rack up fast.
- It's best to pair Luxray with healing support to help out.
- Facade is a great attack that is further influenced by the burn, making it an excellent neutral hit.
- Crunch and Superpower round out coverage.
Random Thoughts Edit
- Fire Fang and Ice Fang are good for coverage.
- A Choice Band set can work, but Volt Switch is a must to escape undesirable matchups.
- Roar is an unexpected option to phase opponents.