|The Dex! Oshawott! Episode 31!|
|Season -, Episode 31|
|Air date||Oct 1, 2013|
|Written by||Alex Faciane, Kellie Whisler|
|Directed by||The National Dex|
The Dex! Oshawott! Episode 31! is the thirty-first episode of The Dex Trivia and Battle Strategy series. It's hosted by Swimmer Alex and Pokekellz and it covers the Otter Pokemon, Oshawott! It was aired on October 1st, 2013 and can be viewed here.
"Every week on The Dex, Alex and PokeKellz present battle strategy and trivia for a different Pokemon! This week, it's Oshawott, the Sea Otter Pokemon!" - YouTube description
Intro Trivia Edit
- Oshawott is the Water starter from Unova.
- While Oshawott and Dewott are based off of Sea Otters, Samurott is based off of a Sea Lion.
- This happened because the design were having trouble thinking of evoutions for Oshawott. After seeing some Sea Lions at an aquarium, they decided to base the final evolution on them.
- To tie together the line, they gave them a Samurai motif, giving each line a weapon, and a bit of Samurai flair
- These weapons are made of the same materials as Oshawott's claws, being Keratin.
- Oshawott uses a sharp scalchop as a weapon, resembling a Japanese Tessen, which is a war-fan.
- Japanese soldiers often times brought fans to keep themselves cool. Someone then came up with the idea to equip them with iron braces to make them sharp and deadly, while still concealing the weapon
Pokemon Etymology Edit
- On the surface, it appears Oshawott's name is a combination of "Ocean", "Shell", "Water", and "Otter".
- Its name could also be a reference to the city of Oshawa in Canada, a country that has many protective laws for Sea Otters.
- It could also draw from the Ojibiwa word "aazhaway", meaning crossing, which usually refers to a river or stream.
- It could also reference George Oshawa, a Japanese dietitian born into a Samurai family
Battle Strategy Edit
Set-Up Sweeper Edit
- Item: Life Orb
- Ability: Torrent
- Nature: Adamant (+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
- EVs: Attack and Speed
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Oshawott just doesn't hit hard enough without a boost from Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet is used if you need to go first, while Waterfall is a much more powerful option
- X-Scissor grants good coverage, especially against opposing Grass Types
- Oshawott works better when supported by other team-mates
- Hidden Power Fire can work as a good coverage move
- Torrent can make Oshawott a powerhouse when he runs low on HP