|The Dex! Volcarona! Episode 23|
|The Dex! Episode 23|
|Air date||Jul 16, 2013|
|Executive Producer(s)||Jirard Khalil, Michael Barryte|
The Dex! Volcarona! Episode 23 is the twenty-third episode of The Dex! Trivia and Battle Strategy Series. It's hosted by Kindler Alex and Pokekellz and it covers the Sun Pokémon, Volcarona! It aired on July 16th, 2013 and can be viewed here.
"Every week on The Dex, Alex and PokeKellz present battle strategy and trivia for a different Pokemon! This week, it's Volcarona, the Sun Pokemon!" - YouTube description
Intro Trivia Edit
| Volcarona has received updated trivia and/or battle strategy.|
The updated trivia and/or battle strategy can be found here.
- Volcarona is the Sun Pokémon, sharing a Pokédex species entry with Sunflora and Espeon.
- Its English name is a combination of "Volcano" and "Corona". A corona is the halo effect visible around the sun caused by a layer of plasma.
- Volcarona can burn brightly enough to replace the sun's light on a cloudy day or when the sky is cloaked in ash: it once saved many Pokémon from freezing during a deep winter.
- The spots on its wings are a reference to "sunspots", which are colder spots on the sun that appear when the sun is photographed under special conditions.
Animal Influence Edit
- Volcarona's coloring is based on the Godzilla Kaiju Mothra.
- Its design also reference the Atlas moth, in terms of the moth's large size and fire red color.
- Based on the adage "like a moth to a flame", Volcarona also references an animal behavior called phototaxis.
- Moths show a positive phototaxis - they are attracted to light sources. Most insects show a negative phototaxis, and flee from light sources.
Battle Strategy Edit
Special Attacker Edit
- Item: Life Orb
- Ability: Flame Body
- Nature: Modest (+Sp. Attack, -Attack)
- EVs: Sp. Attack and Speed
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Volcarona is kind of frail, and has a huge Stealth Rock weakness, making it hard to use.
- Start off with a Quiver Dance, it'll make Volcarona faster, stronger, and bulkier.
- Flame Body is great because it gives you a 30% chance to burn an opponent if they make contact.
- Bug Buzz and Fiery Dance are two powerful STABs, with Fiery Dance granting a 50% chance to increase your Special Attack even further.
- Lastly, Giga Drain allows you to recover the damage you took from entry hazards and while you set up Quiver Dance.
Random Thoughts Edit
- Chesto-Resto allows you to recover after setting up.
- Leftovers + Roost increases your longevity.
- Hurricane can catch opposing Rain Dance teams off-guard.